Saturday, February 16, 2008

It Snowed 29 years ago February 17th



A reprint from last year a way for me to remember that I am a very blessed man, blessed indeed….

You may ask how I remember that.
It was on that day in February that a couple of kids that many said would not make it, said their vows. Married by a minister who we did not know, in a church that we did not attend with no rehearsal prior to the evening. The day started out with some snow flurries and turned to several inches of snow by the evening. As my best man and I made our way to the Church in my 1965 Chevy truck, we topped a hill and looked down to see several cars in a tangled mess. I was unable to stop, so I did the best thing I could do and steered into a yard coming to rest in a ditch against a line of hedges. Due to the roads, we were already running dangerously close to being late. I got out of the truck in my baby blue tux (quite stylish at the time) and slid down the hill, where I explained to the group of angry, frustrated drivers that I was late for my own wedding. To my surprise they crawled back up the hill to my truck with me where they and my best man (also dressed in an equally stylish baby blue tux) pushed the truck back on to the street and around the wrecks.
I learned later that back at the church my future father-in-law was saying, "I told you he wouldn't come, I told you he was a bum."
I did finally make it, a little muddy, a little cold, a little frustrated and scared to death.
I look back today and can say the same thing about the last 29 years.
We both made it to the church that day; and due to the same determination we have made it these years. We have gotten stuck, sometimes others didn't believe in us, it has taken a lot of help from family, friends and strangers to get us out of ditches that I put us in. But today we are here, but not at our destination. Just like that day not so long ago, we are not finished yet, we are only beginning another phase of this wonderful journey.

Happy Anniversary Deb.

Greg

5 comments:

~~Kerri~~ said...

Happy Anniversary Goys! You did make it and both of you are a great inspiration to so many. Many more than you will ever know I am sure! Be blessed today!

God is Faithful! said...

what can I say...I love you both more than you'll ever know! I wish I had the money to send you for a couple of cokes and a bag of chips to celebrate with! :)

baseball boys said...

We love you guys!
TSCC

Anonymous said...

Yes, Yes, and amen to all the other comments and double for me.
Mom

The Scotts said...

You both look like babies in that picture!! I remember that day as well. Thanks for your example. I know it's been hard but you guys have come a long way. Thanks for your stick-to-it attitude. Love you guys bunches!!