Wednesday, July 11, 2007



So we are retiring for the night, when Debbie says, "you hear that, someone is on the roof" I grab the gun and go to the back of the boat to see a raccoon sitting at our back door looking at us. Only he is not alone, he is on an outing with his five brothers and sisters. (a total of 6!)
We shared this story with all the neighbors and after a meeting on the subject we decided that a live trap was the answer. We would catch the family one by one and 'relocate' them.
Tuesday at 3AM Bailey wakes me up, "Dad I think something is in the trap" We get the flash light and sure enough, a raccoon in the trap, but the interesting thing is one of his brothers or sisters is outside the cage trying to get the cage open, in fact trying to untie the rope that holds the trap to the dock. I choose to go back to sleep.
At 6AM I get up to find the little fellow still in the trap, but more interesting to me is that his brother or sister has not left his side, they are sitting side by side one in the cage, the other free. I run the free sibling away and sit back from a distance to watch. In just moments it comes back and sits by the cage, as if to say, "I am not leaving you behind"
I am not prepared for this kind of decision at 6AM, what to do "relocate" or release the trapped animal. About this time my neighbor comes out of his boat and ask, "what do we have"? I relate what I have observed. He ask what are you going to do? I said, I know this sounds weak, and is not helping our problem, but...I am thinking of letting him go. My neighbor give me a knowing smile. As I release him from the trap, my neighbor says, "I didn't see a thing"

No comments: