Thursday, April 12, 2007

Words left unsaid?

We have a funeral to attend today. Gene Davis Debbie's Uncle, passed away from complications of kidney and heart problems. When Deb and I were first married (as teenagers) there were plenty of times when we had no electricity or food. We knew that Gene and Louise's house was always good for a bed or meal, with no strings or judgement attached. We could just go visit and end up staying without anything being said.

I visited him at the hospital the other morning, when I arrived I discovered the family had all gone to freshen up so there I stood with him all alone. A question came to me as I watched him on the ventilator, "Do you have anything left unsaid to him" I realized that if I did it was too late. I stood there for a while watching the rhythmic breathing he was doing from his machine. I thought back to his healthy days, times when he was full of strength and fight. Days that seemed they would never end. I contrasted those to that moment I was in.

I am very sad to see him go. Did I have things left unsaid? Truthfully, yes.

An e-mail that has been floating around this week goes;

One morning you will never wake up. 
Do all your friends know you love them?
I was thinking...I could die today, tomorrow or next week,
and I wondered if I had any wounds needing to be healed,
friendships that needed rekindling or three words needing to be
said. Let every one of your friends know you love them. Even
if you think they don't love you back you would be amazed
at what those three little words and a smile can do.

And just in case GOD calls me home before I see you
again....... I LOVE YA!!!
Do you have any words left that need to be said?

Greg

No comments: